Look closely around campus, and you will see the names of J.E. and L.E. Mabee permanently etched in the Tennessee Ledge stone on several TU buildings, or gracing spaces inside many buildings, old and new alike.
The Mabee Foundation's legacy at TU spans generations. In 1948, John and Lottie Jane's foundation was created to "help those who help themselves." At TU, they have given $17 million in gifts and pledges. Their support enabled construction of the Mabee Legal Information Center; TU's dormitories, John & Lottie Jane Mabee Halls; Mabee Gymnasium, and Collins Hall. The Foundation's gifts have also supported TU with a reading clinic and a student loan fund. Its most recent contribution was for the engineering expansion project, which includes construction of Rayzor and Stephenson Halls, renovation of Keplinger Hall, and creation of Samson Plaza to link the three engineering buildings together.
Six decades after the foundation's formation, John and Lottie Jane Mabee's legacy lives on at TU and they remain key partners in building TU into a nationally recognized university.