President's Residence Skelly Mansion
The University of Tulsa owns the William G. Skelly Mansion, located at 21st Street and Madison Avenue in the historic Maple Ridge neighborhood. This is actually the second time TU has owned the home, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The house was built in 1923-24 by Mr. Skelly and his wife, Gertrude. After living in the residence for many years, Mrs. Skelly unexpectedly presented the home and all of its furnishings as a gift to TU in 1957, shortly after Mr. Skelly's death.
In a letter to the university, Mrs. Skelly wrote that she and her husband had "long admired the progress made by the university" and that TU was free to use the property as it wished. University leaders made the decision to sell the property in 1959, but they were able to acquire the recently restored 9,000-square-foot home for use as the official president's residence in 2012.
The Skelly Mansion serves as a welcoming space for meeting and entertaining university guests, administrators and faculty on the ground floor while offering private quarters upstairs for the TU president and first family.
The manor exterior features red brick, a green tile roof and a two-story portico with white cut-stone columns and lotus-leaf capitals. In a different era, visitors to the historic home included Presidents Coolidge and Hoover; aviators Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart and Wiley Post; and celebrities Bob Hope and Will Rogers.