Credit for Study Abroad

  1. Affiliated programs: Credit for study abroad will only be awarded to students who have been accepted to study abroad by the Center for Global Education with affiliated programs, universities, or exchange institutions (hosting organizations/institutions). Students seeking to study with unaffiliated programs or institutions must complete a separate application process as outlined in the policy document, “Application Process to Study Abroad with an Unaffiliated Program.”
  2. Course Approval: In order to receive credit for courses taken abroad, students must submit a course approval form, signed by their faculty advisor, college academic advisor, and college associate dean or designee. Classes may be approved as being substantially equivalent to a TU course and will satisfy the same curriculum requirements. Courses for which there is no TU equivalent, but which are appropriate or desirable for the student’s degree plan, must be indicated and authorized on the Course Approval Form.
  3. Grading Policies: The CGE assumes that students’ work will be assessed by the same rigorous, discriminating grading criteria that is used on the TU campus and evaluates affiliate organizations and institutions to ensure that this standard is maintained.
    a. For undergraduates, letter grades earned in study abroad programs will be calculated as part of a student’s cumulative GPA. Courses taken on a Pass/No Credit basis (see next section) do not have numeric equivalents and will not be calculated as part of a student’s GPA.
    b. For graduate students, all grades will be placed on the transcript as pass/fail.
    c. Grades that are issued using the host country’s grading scale will be translated to TU grades according to accepted equivalency scales. These scales are not a mere adaptation to the US percentage or letter grade system, but aim to match the spirit and rigor of the host country grading system with the US system.
    d. Grade appeals regarding study abroad courses will be considered in accordance with procedures applicable to appeals in other TU courses and as outlined by the study abroad program provider.
  4. Pass/No Pass option: Students may elect to take study abroad courses for a letter grade or on a pass/no credit (P/N) basis, subject to the following conditions:
    a. A student must choose on a course-by-course basis whether to receive a letter grade or P/N, subject to approval by his or her faculty advisor, college academic advisor, and college associate dean or designee. A student may not change his or her grading option after he or she has left campus.
    b. All courses taken on a P/N basis must be taken for a grade from the host institution, and a student must receive a grade of “C” (or equivalent) or better in order to earn study abroad credit. Students’ transcripts will list the course titles, designation of the foreign university or program, the number of credits earned, and either a “P” for pass or “NP” for no-credit.
    c. The CGE, in consultation with the student’s faculty advisor, major advisor, and/or associate dean, will report a student’s grade as P/N to the registrar. This report will be accompanied by the transcript received by the overseas institution.
  5. Internships and Independent Study: Students may enroll in a TU internship or independent study course as part of their study abroad program only with prior approval by their TU faculty advisor, college academic advisor, and college associate dean.
  6. Withdrawal from an Overseas Study Program: Students who voluntarily or involuntarily withdraw from their study abroad program will be accountable to both TU’s and the hosting organization/institution’s withdrawal policies. The study abroad fee is non-refundable, except according to the terms described in this document. Tuition will be refunded according to the terms outlined in TU’s regular tuition refund policies. Students participating in programs that begin on a schedule different from TU’s academic calendar will still follow the withdrawal timeline as outlined in TU’s policies for the main campus. Students withdrawing from a program for any reason will be responsible for expenses that were made on their behalf and that are non-refundable, such as airline tickets or deposits on housing. In addition, students may be subject to the refund policies of any study abroad program provider or overseas institution to which he or she has applied.
  7. Adding and Dropping Classes: The CGE strongly recommends that students seek approval for more courses than they intend to take prior to departing campus in order to minimize problems with changing classes while abroad. Students choosing to add or drop courses while abroad must obtain approval from the CGE, their faculty advisor, college academic advisor, and college associate dean or designee. Approvals must be obtained no later than two weeks into the host institution’s semester or one week into the host institution’s summer term. Students are responsible for maintaining minimum enrollment required by the university or to maintain their financial aid. Students who fail to obtain approval for changes in their study abroad courses, even when the changes occur at the recommendation of the hosting organization/institution, cannot be guaranteed that they will receive academic credit for classes taken as part of their study abroad program.
  8. Course load: a. Undergraduate students participating in study abroad must maintain a full-time course load during each semester as defined by the host institution/organization, or a minimum of 12 TU credit hours.
    b. Undergraduate students may not enroll during the summer for more than 6 hours of study abroad credit. Students seeking to enroll in more than 6 TU equivalent credit hours during a summer study abroad program must request special permission from the CGE and the associate dean of their college.
    c. Graduate students participating in study abroad must maintain full-time enrollment of 9 credit hours. Enrollment in more or less than 9 hours must receive the approval of the student's academic program advisor and the Dean of the Graduate School.
  9. Maximum length for study abroad: The maximum length that a student may study abroad is one academic year plus one summer term or three summer terms. Students receiving financial aid are responsible for knowing the length of program that their specific award will cover.


For a pdf of these policies click here.