Getting Started Checklist
Advising and Application:
This is the initial phase of the study abroad process. Make sure you get a good start by exploring the CGE website, and following the steps below.
- Meet with a CGE Peer Advisor to get general study abroad information and to look at program options.
- Research program options by clicking here.
- Talk to your Faculty Advisor and/or College Advisor about your plans and discuss which type of courses you should look for when choosing a program abroad.
- Click on “Register/Start Advising” to complete the advising application (Study Abroad Interest Questionnaire, Study Abroad Information Slides, Study Abroad Quiz).
Make an appointment to meet with a CGE advisor for a Study Abroad Advising meeting. You can do that online by clicking on the advisor's name.
- After your advising appointment, you will be given access to your program-specific online application. LOGIN to view the complete online application and requirements. NOTE: online application and supplemental documents must be submitted by posted deadline.
- Complete the Program Provider OR Host University application by their deadline. Bring all additional required forms/documents to the CGE (at once) if you want us to mail them to the Program in your behalf.
Apply for a new Passport OR renew your expired or soon-to-be expired passport. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.
After the decision date, students will be notified of a status change. Students that completed all the required items by the posted deadline and meet all CGE eligibility requirements will be Conditionally Accepted.
- After you are Conditionally Accepted by the CGE, you must begin completing the post-acceptance items of your online application. LOGIN to view the required post-acceptance items. NOTE: Students are conditionally accepted until all of their post-acceptance items are complete, including attending the Final Advising Meeting and Pre-departure Orientation.
Make an appointment to complete the MANDATORY “Final Advising Meeting/Budget” with a CGE advisor. During this meeting you will discuss your study Abroad Budget, Visas, Medical issues, etc.
- Purchase CISI Health Insurance at the CGE (If required for your program).
- Plan to attend the MANDATORY Pre-Departure Orientation to prepare for your time abroad.
After conditionally accepted by the CGE and accepted by your program, it is time to start working on these:
Begin application process for obtaining a student visa (if required by your host country).
- Cancel on-campus housing for the term abroad.
- Students receiving Federal Financial Aid or any TU Scholarships MUST submit an approved budget form to the Financial Aid Office before awards will be released.
- Enroll for special Study Abroad courses with your TU College Advisor to maintain your student status during the term you plan to study abroad.
- Apply for and pick up your International Student Identity Card (ISIC) at the TU Parking/ID Office in Fisher Hall (available after the Pre-departure Orientation date).
- Make arrangements with the Business Office for Financial Aid/Scholarship refunds to be disbursed (if applicable).
- Pack your bags, say goodbye to family and friends, and get ready to fly!
After you have arrived in your program site, please do the following:
- Let the CGE know you’ve safely arrived to your host country and give us your local contact information (including a cell phone number) for your time abroad by logging back to your CGE account and completing the ABROAD ADRRESS information.
- Let the CGE advisor know of any course changes and seek college approval for any courses you wish to take abroad not listed in your Course Approval Form (CAF).
- Complete the "Abroad Course Verification Form" on your online account, listing the final list of courses you are enrolled at the foreign institution or program.