Cem Sarica, Ph.D.
Professor and F.H. "Mick" Merelli/Cimarex Energy Endowed ChairDirector, TU Fluid Flow Projects (TUFFP), TU Paraffin Deposition Projects (TUPDP), TU Horizontal Well Artificial Lift Projects (TUHWALP)Co-director, TU High-Viscosity Oil Projects (TUHOP)North Campus, Drill Building #108
firstname.lastname@example.orgResearch Website - TUFFP2013 Vita - Prof. Cem Sarica
Office Hours - Summer 2013
On sabbatical. Please contact Linda Jones, (918) 631-5110, for appointment.
Cem Sarica is the director of the TU Fluid Flow Projects (TUFFP) and TU Paraffin Deposition Projects (TUPDP) at The University of Tulsa (TU). TUFFP and TUPDP are research consortia sponsored by major oil and gas producers and service companies. TUFFP and TUPDP conduct applied research addressing the needs of their membership.
Dr. Sarica was an Associate Professor of petroleum and natural gas engineering at The Pennsylvania State University before joining The University of Tulsa. He has also served as Assistant Professor at the Istanbul Technical University for two years. He is a member of both the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) and American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). He currently serves as a member of SPE Projects, Facilities and Construction Advisory Committee. He has served as a member of SPE Journal Editorial Board between 1999 and 2007. He has also previously served as Associate Editor of Journal of Energy Resources Technology (JERT) between the years 1996 and 2004. He is a member of Technical Advisory Committee of British Hydrodynamics Research Group (BHRg) Multiphase Production Conferences. He was the Technical Program Chair of BHRg 2008 Conference.
Education and Degrees Earned
- Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering, The University of Tulsa (1990)
- M.S., Petroleum Engineering, Istanbul Technical University (1984)
- B.S., Petroleum Engineering, Istanbul Technical University (1982)
Areas of Research Focus
- Multiphase Flow in Pipes
- Flow Assurance (Paraffin Deposition, Hydrates, and Heavy Oil)
- Oil and Gas Production
- Horizontal Wells
Previous Teaching Experience
Pennsylvania State University
- Graduate Program: “Two Phase Flow Modeling in Pipes" and "Advanced Production Engineering”
- Undergraduate Program “Rock and Fluid Properties”, “Rock and Fluid Properties Lab”, “Petroleum Engineering Design”
- Continuing Education (Short Course):“Fundamentals of Pipeline Construction, Operation and Financing” (Summer 1999)
The University of Tulsa
- Graduate Program: “Two Phase Flow Modeling” and “Advanced Production Design”
- Continuing Education (Short Course): “Two Phase Flow in Pipes” (1994 – 1999)
Istanbul Technical University
- Undergraduate Program “Petroleum Production Technique-1”, “Petroleum Production Technique-2”
- Graduate Program: “Two Phase Flow in Pipes" and "Advanced Production Engineering”, “Fluid Mechanics” and “Computer Programming”
- Continuing Education (Short Course): "Two Phase Flow in Pipes” (1991 and 1992)
Previous Relevant Work Experience
Dr. Sarica was an Associate Professor of petroleum and natural gas engineering at Pennsylvania State University (PSU) before joining The University of Tulsa. Prior to joining PSU, he served as a Research Associate at TU Fluid Flow Projects (TUFFP) and as Associate Director of TUFFP for six years. He has also served as Assistant Professor at the Istanbul Technical University for two years.
- Member, Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Turkish Petroleum Engineers Chamber