History of TU College of Law
The University of Tulsa College of Law has been educating students since 1923. Founded by a group of Tulsa attorneys, the Tulsa Law School, as it was then known, was not affiliated with the university. The school was first located in downtown Tulsa at the old Central High School and later in a nearby office building. Its law library was housed at the Tulsa County Courthouse, and faculty members were Tulsa attorneys who practiced during the day and taught students in the evening.
In 1943, the school joined The University of Tulsa, an affiliation established by John Rogers, pioneer Tulsa attorney and trustee of the university. John Rogers later became dean of the law school.
The 1950s and 1960s brought significant progress: the law library, classrooms, and faculty and administrative offices were brought together for the first time; the first full-time faculty members were hired; and a full-time division was created. The school received accreditation by the American Bar Association in 1953 and was admitted to membership in the Association of American Law Schools in 1966. In 1966, the name of the institution was changed to the College of Law, reflecting its status within the university.
In 1973, the College of Law moved to its current location at The University of Tulsa campus. In 2000, the College of Law opened a new state-of-the-art law library known as the Mabee Legal Information Center. In 2002, the college renovated and remodeled its model court room, now known as the Price-Turpen Courtroom. Several additional renovations were completed in the summer of 2009 including a renovation of the pit which included two built-in 52" LCD digital signage units, and then a major renovation occured in the summer of 2011. This renovation included a complete transformation of the entire central portion of the building including the pit, front offices, and central classrooms. The renovated area received contemporary aesthetics and state-of-the-art technology.