TU Professor Recounts the History of the University's College of Law
Almost thirty years ago, TU's then librarian, Guy Logsdon, wrote the history of the University of Tulsa. Now, a long-time professor in the College of Law, John Forrester Hicks, has produced a history of the University's College of Law.
The history spans an eighty-two year period, starting in 1923 when the Tulsa Law School was founded. This School was free-standing and was not connected to the University for the first twenty years. The book recounts the ups and downs of the school during this period, as it traversed the roaring 20's, the Great Depression of the 1930s and the start of World War II. The reader meets the deans, professors and students who started and sustained legal education during a robust period when Tulsa was the "Oil Capitol of the World."
Hicks tells of how an important leader in Tulsa's legal, civic and religious community, John Rogers, brought the Tulsa Law School to the University as the TU School of Law. Hicks describes the development of the institution in downtown Tulsa, its evolution from a School to a College within the University and the decision in the 1970s to move the College from downtown to the Kendall Campus. The book discusses the University presidents, deans, faculty, alumni and philanthropists who were the major actors in these events.
Hicks describes the students who have attended the college over the decades, including the stories of how women and minorities came to be an important part of a historically white male bastion.
Using both text and photographs, Hicks paints a vivid picture of the development of this law school. The book should be appeal to individuals interested in the history of Tulsa and of Oklahoma, as well as to alumni and friends of the University of Tulsa and its College of Law.