Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change from one college to another?
Changing colleges requires completion of a Change of Division Form. This form is available in the in the Williams Student Services Center and requires signatures from the advising offices of both colleges.

How do I change my major?
If both the new and old majors are within the same college, advisers in the Williams Student Services Center can change the information on your student record and notify the departments of the change. If the new major is in another college, you must complete a Change of Division Form which is available in all College Advising Offices. If you change your major and have received scholarships, this may impact your scholarship and transfer of external coursework (if applicable). Be sure to check with financial aid and/or your College Advising Office.

How do I change my address or other information?
It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the University has an up-to-date address and telephone number so that important academic information can be delivered to the student in a timely fashion. To update your address, please notify one of the advisers in the Williams Student Services Center.

What is my class level?
You are a freshman if you have from one to twenty-nine credit hours completed. Sophomore standing is from thirty to fifty-nine credit hours, junior standing from sixty to eighty-nine credit hours; and senior standing is above ninety credit hours.

Whom do I contact if I have any questions about course selection and educational planning?You may contact your academic or faculty advisor. Both will serve as coordinators of your educational experience and will assist in your planning, as well as refer you to other departments and services on campus as needed.

How often should I see my advisor?
Freshmen and Sophomores are advised by academic advisors and will meet with them during the second month of each semester. Advisors will evaluate their situation at that time and provide information on campus resources (tutors, labs, academic support, etc.) if needed. Once you achieve Junior standing, you should contact your faculty advisor at least once a semester for enrollment recommendations.

You are encouraged to take the initiative in seeking assistance from both academic and faculty advisors anytime you have questions or concerns. Advisers are available throughout the semester to discuss student issues.

What is the procedure for dropping a course?
A course may be dropped during the first three weeks of a semester with no academic penalty. Academic penalty refers to the fact that there will be no entry of the enrollment on your transcript. To drop a course during this time period, you must complete the Drop/Add Form available in the Williams Student Services Center.

The instructor's signature is required to withdraw after the first three weeks of the semester. Within the period that withdrawals are permitted (4th through 12th week), a transcript entry of "W" (withdraw). A W has no impact on the GPA. See the Important Dates section of the Schedule of Courses for the deadline dates. No withdrawals are permitted after the 12th week of the semester.

What consequences should be considered before withdrawing from a course(s)?
Course withdrawals are treated as a serious matter that require advisor/student interaction. Students must see their faculty advisor when they need to withdraw from a course. If withdrawing from a course reduces the total hours for the semester to less than 12, there may also be financial aid and insurance implications. In the case of international students, there may be visa status implications. It is also likely that dropping and withdrawing fro classes will slow your progress toward your degree and graduation. You may want to consider taking summer courses to catch up. Contact your adviser for more information.

What is a pass/fail?
Students have the option of taking selected courses Pass/D/F. Courses that are allowed Pass/D/F are: general education electives, free electives and internships. If you declare this option and earn a grade of A, B, or C in the course, then it will show on your transcript as a P and will have no impact on your GPA. If you earn a D or F, the grade you earn will show, and it will be calculated into your GPA. The Pass/D/F Declaration Form is available from your advising office and must be turned into the Advising Office by the end of the third week of classes during a regular term. The decision to take a course Pass/D/F can't be changed after the third week.

Can I take classes at another institution that will transfer here?
There are some important restrictions that apply to transfer credit. To ensure transferability, students must seek approval from their advising offices before enrolling in classes elsewhere. University policy states "the last 45 credit hours towards graduation must be taken in residence at The University of Tulsa" (effective Fall 1995). For further information, click here.

What is a graduation check, and when should I have one done?
To make certain you have fulfilled all of the requirements necessary to graduate, you should make an appointment for a graduation check with an academic advisor during your junior year. In addition, you will be required to do a final graduation check at the beginning of your last semester. At that time, you will be eligible to apply for your degree.

How do I determine my catalog year?
The student's catalog year is determined by the year that the student enters their business studies. This may not be the same year that the student entered The University of Tulsa.

What are Certificate Programs?
Individuals who already possess one or more college degrees or who have the appropriate class standing may pursue certificate programs to acquire proficiencies in a specialized area of study. Most certificate programs require completion of 15 to 24 credit hours. The Collins College of Business offers three certificate programs: Accounting, Finance, and Management Information Systems.