Charles M. Wood
Ph.D. in Marketing, May 1999
University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211
Master of Business Administration, May 1992
Regent University, Virginia Beach, VA 23464
Master of Arts in Journalism, May 1992
Regent University, Virginia Beach, VA 23464
Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering, May 1981
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701
Jackson, Ralph W., Charles M. Wood, and Jim Zboja (forthcoming), "The Dissolution of Ethical Decision-Making in Organizations: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Big House," Journal of Business Ethics.
Jackson, Ralph W and Charles M. Wood (forthcoming), "The Marketing Environment: A New Paradigm," Academy of Marketing Studies Journal.
Li, Po-Chien, Kenneth R. Evans, Charles M. Wood, and Yen-Chun Chen (2011), "Resource Commitment Behaviour of Industrial Exhibitors: An Exploratory Study," Jounal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 26, 6.
Scheer, Lisa K., Omar M. Shehryar, and Charles M. Wood (2010, author order alphabetic), "HowBudget Constraints Impact Consumers' Response to Discount Presentation Formats," Journal of Product and Brand Management. Volume 19, Issue 3: 225-232.
Arnold, Todd A., Timothy D. Landry, and Charles M. Wood (2009, author order alphabetic), "Pro-social Effects in Youyh from Involvement in an Experiential, Cause-related Marketing Event," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 18 (Winter): 41-52.
Wood, Charles M. (2007), "Towards More Responsive Organizations: Openness to Change and Culture Preservation in Subsistence in Developing Economies" chapter in Advances in International Management, Volume 20, (ed. Madhulalan Viswanathan), JAI Press: 281-296.
Wood, Charles M. (2007) "The Dialectics of Experiential Learning in the Marketing Classroom," Journal for the Advancement of Marketing Education.
Stan, Simona, Kenneth R. Evans, Charles M. Wood, and Jeffrey L. Stinson (2007), "Segment Differences in the Asymetric Effects of Service Quality on Business Customer Relationships," Journal of Services Marketing, 21(5): 358-369.
Briggs, Elten, Tim Landry, and Charles M. Wood (2007, author order alphabetic), "Beyond Just Being There: An Examination of the Impact of Attitudes, Materialism, and Self-Esteem on the Quality of Helping Behavior in Youth Volunteers," Journal of Nonprofit and Public Sector Marketing,18 (December): 27-45.
Hopkins, Christopher D., Catherine A. Roster, and Charles M. Wood (2006, author order alphabetic), "Making the Transition to Retirement: Appraisals, Post-Transition Lifestyle, and Changes in Consumption Patterns," Journal of Consumer Marketing, 23 (2): 87-99.
- [Outstanding Paper in JCM, Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2007]
- [Selected for incllusion in Consumer Behavior 10e published by Prentice Hall in July 2009]
Wood, Charles M., Bruce L. Alford, Ralph W. Jackson, and Otis W. Gilley (2005) "Can Retailers Get Higher Prices for 'End-of-Life' Inventory through Online Auctions?" Journal of Retailing, 81 (2): 181-190.
- [Citation of Excellence Award - ranked among the top 50 of 15,000 papers published by Emerald Press]
Stammerjohan, Claire A., Charles M. Wood, Yuhmiin Chang, and Esther Thorson (2005, first two authors listed alphabetically) “An Empirical Investigation of the Interaction between Publicity, Advertising, and Previous Brand Attitudes and Knowledge,” Journal of Advertising, 34 (Winter): 55-68.
Wood, Charles M., David J. Glew, and Marc D. Street (2004) “The Genesis of Relationships: Boundary Spanners’ Appraisals of the Career Entry Transition,” Journal of Relationship Marketing, 3 (2/3): 5-24.
The above article was reprinted as:
Wood, Charles M., David J. Glew, and Marc D. Street (2004), “The Genesis of Relationships: Boundary Spanners’ Appraisals of the Career Entry Transition,” Chapter 2, in Internal Relationship Management: Linking Human Resources to Marketing Performance, eds. Michael D. Hartline and David Bejou; Binghamton, NY: The Haworth Press, Inc.
Wood, Charles M. and Tracy A. Suter (2004), “Making Marketing Principles Tangible: Online Auctions as Living Case Studies,” Journal of Marketing Education, 24 (August): 137-144.
Wood, Charles M. (2004), “E-commerce as a Development Tool in the Asia-Pacific Region: A Dual Path,” International Marketing Review, 21 (June): 301-320.
Hale, John C., Timothy D. Landry, and Charles M. Wood (2004), “Susceptibility Audits: A Tool for Safeguarding Information Assets,” Business Horizons, 47 (May-June): 59-66. (author order is alphabetic).
Wood, Charles M. (2003), “Usefulness of Micro-Business Models in Developing Countries,” Chapter 12, Business Education and Emerging Market Economies: Perspectives and Best Practices, eds. Ilan Alon (Rollins College) and John R. McIntyre (Georgia Tech CIBER program), Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers: pp. 183-200.
Wood, Charles M. (2003), “The Effects of Creating Psychological Ownership among Students in Class Projects,” Journal of Marketing Education, 25 (December): 241-249.
Turner, Gregory B., Stephen A. LeMay, Mark Hartley, and Charles M. Wood (2000), "Interdependence and Cooperation in Industrial Buyer-Supplier Relationships," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 8 (Winter): 16-24.
Other Published Work
Wood, Charles M. and Ronald D. Taylor (2005), “Bloomingdale’s, Barry Bonds, and Beer Steins: Immersing Students into the Marketing Process Using Online Auctions,” in the Instructor’s Activities Manual for the textbook Business (8th edition) by Pride, Hughes, and Kapoor; Houghton Mifflin.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
Wood, Charles M., Jim Zboja , and Claire Cornell (2012), “Battling Senioritis: Challenging Students from Ideation through Implementation,” National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance Conference Proceedings.
Wood, Charles M. and Christopher Hopkins (2010), “Targeting Transitions: Advertising Effects during Consumer Life Events,” American Academy of Advertising Conference Proceedings.
Wood, Charles M. (2009), “Marketing Innovation and Community Engagement at the University,” National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance Conference Proceedings.
Wood, Charles M. (2006), “In Search of a Unifying Framework for Consumer Life Transitions,” Association for Consumer Research Conference Proceedings.
Bajaj, Akhilesh, Gord Hotchkiss, and Charles M. Wood (2006, author order alphabetic), “Factors Influencing the ‘Search Link Click’ Decision: An Exploratory Study,” Society for Marketing Advances Conference Proceedings.
Jackson, Ralph W. and Charles M. Wood (2006), “The B2B Environments: A New Perspective,” Society for Marketing Advances Conference Proceedings.
Wood, Charles M., “’Kinship and Contract’: The Interaction of Computer Technology-based Entrepreneurship and Culture in Developing Nations,” 2006 University of Illinois Subsistence Marketplaces Conference.
Bruce Alford, Otis Gilley, and Charles M. Wood (2005, author order alphabetic), “Analyzing Auction Data: What Doesn’t Sell Could Matter,” Proceedings of the Society for Marketing Advances. [Best Paper Award in Marketing Research Track].
Briggs, Elten, Charles M. Wood, Tim Landry, and Todd Arnold (2005), “Beyond Just Being There: An Examination of the Impact of Attitudes, Materialism, and Self-Esteem on the Quality of Helping Behavior in Youth Volunteers,” American Marketing Association Winter Educators' Proceedings.
Catherine A. Roster, Christopher D. Hopkins, and Charles M. Wood (2004), "Making the Transition to Retirement: Appraisals, Post-Transition Lifestyle, and Changes in Consumption Patterns," Society for Consumer Psychology Conference Proceedings.
Wood, Charles M. and Ronald D. Taylor (2003), “Bloomingdale’s, Barry Bonds, and Beer Steins: Immersing Students into the Marketing Process using Online Auctions,” Advances in Marketing: Pedagogy, Philosophy and Processes: Proceedings of the Society for Marketing Advances.
Wood, Charles M. (2002), “Demonstrating Marketing Concepts using Online Auctions: An Experiential Approach,” American Marketing Association Summer Educators’ Proceedings.
Stan, Simona, Kenneth R. Evans, Jeffrey Stinson, Charles M. Wood (2002), “Critical Customer Experiences in Professional Business-to-Business Service Exchanges: Impact on Overall Customer Response to Service Providers,” American Marketing Association Summer Educators’ Proceedings.
Wood, Charles M., Bruce L. Alford, and Ralph W. Jackson (2001), “Going, Going, Gone! An Examination of the Applicability of Traditional Pricing Theory to the ‘Open Marketplace’ of Online Auctions,” Society of Marketing Advances Proceedings.
Wood, Charles M. and Lisa K. Scheer (1996) "Incorporating Perceived Risk into Models of Consumer Deal Evaluation and Purchase Intent," Advances in Consumer Research, (eds. John Lynch and Kim Corfman), 23: 399-404.
Wood, Charles M. (1995), "A Conceptual Model of Marketing's Influence on Children During Transitional Phases of Development," University of Nebraska Doctoral Symposium Proceedings, 4 : 69-84.
Wood, Charles M. (1995) "Marketing to Children: Understanding the Role of Transitional Objects," Marketing and Public Policy Conference Proceedings (eds. Pam Scholder Ellen and Patrick J. Kaufman), 5: 174-182.
Wood, Charles M. (2012), “Breaking Silos and Building Community Service,” presented at the American Democracy Project Conference at University of Central Oklahoma.
Wood, Charles M. (2012), “Enhancing Instruction through Creative Problem-Solving and Innovation Tools,” presented at the National Conference on Learner-Centered Teaching.
Wood, Charles M. (2012), invited to lead two 3-hour professional development seminars at the annual Promotional Products Association International Expo, Jan 2-3, 2012.
Wood, Charles M. (2011), invited to lead a professional development session at the semi-annual meeting of the Self-Storage Trade Association of Oklahoma, Nov 15, 2011.
Wood, Charles M. (2011), invited to lead a professional development session with the Tulsa Chamber of Commerce Small Business Forum.
Bajaj, Akhilesh, Charles M. Wood, and Gord Hotchkiss (2005), “Consumer Choice and Search Engine Display Characteristics: An Experiment” invited panel presentation at annual convention of the Internet search industry: Ad:Tech, San Francisco, CA
Wood, Charles M. (2004), “The Dialectics of Experiential Learning in the Marketing Classroom,” invited presentation at the Marketing Management Association Conference.
Schumann, David W., Esther Thorson, Charles M. Wood, Linda B. Wright, and Barbara Dyer (1996) "Employing Program / Commercial Ratios to Predict Television Context Effects on Advertising," presented by the first author at the Society for Consumer Psychology Winter Conference.
Research in Progress
Wood, Charles M. and Christopher D. Hopkins., “Time in Transition: A Multi-Method Study of Consumer Response to Advertising during Major Life Events,” under review at Journal of Business Research.
Chabowski, Brian R., G. Tomas M. Hult, and Charles M. Wood, “Marketing as a Network of Ideas: An Analysis of the Intellectual Structure of Marketing Thought,” under review at Journal of Consumer Research.
Wood, Charles M. “Slogans and Persuasion: A Rhetorical and Proverbial Analysis,” pilot data collection complete. Target: Journal of Consumer Research.
Bajaj, Akhilesh, Charles M. Wood, and Gord Hotchkiss, “Consumer Choice and Search Engine Display Characteristics: An Experiment,” data collection complete. Target: Business Horizons.
Wood, Charles M. “Purposeful Ideation for Entrepreneurs: Theory Review and Development,” conceptual development stage.
Richins, Marsha L., Todd A. Mooradian, and Charles M. Wood, "Situated Consumption Goals: A Working Taxonomy and Conceptual Framework Incorporating Values," 4 studies, final draft stage. Target: Journal of Consumer Research.
Wood, Charles M., Bruce Alford, Otis Gilley, “Analyzing Auction Data: What Doesn’t Sell Could Matter,” working paper, initial draft and data analyses complete. Target: Journal of Marketing Research.
Gilley, Otis, Charles M. Wood, and Bruce Alford, “An Application of Zero-Inflated Negative Binomial Models to Online Auctions,” data collection complete, final draft stage. Target: The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Wood, Charles M. and Claire A. Stammerjohan, "When They Like It, but Don’t Need It: An Exploration of Perceived Need and Resources in Advertising Response," data collection complete, final draft stage. Target: Journal of Advertising.
Mooradian, Todd A. and Charles M. Wood, “Conation – A Taxonomy of Consumer Behaviors and Their Motivations,” working paper, data analysis complete.
Wood, Charles M. and Russell P. Haines, “Bidding Styles and Individual Differences at Online Auctions: A Simulation,” pilot study data collection complete.
Wood, Charles M. “Profiling the Strong-Willed Consumer,” working paper, data collection complete. Target: Journal of Consumer Psychology.
Schumann, David W., Esther Thorson, Charles M. Wood, and Linda B. Wright, "Predicting the Impact of Television Programming on Commercial Advertising," data collection complete.
Research Awards and Honors
Excellence in Community-Based Teaching and Scholarship Award, Campus Compact, 2011.
Outstanding Paper Award for best paper in 2006 published in Journal of Consumer Marketing, awarded by Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence, 2007.
Citation of Research Excellence Award for paper published in 2005 issue of Journal of Retailing “Can Retailers Get Higher Prices for ‘End-of-Life’ Inventory through Online Auctions?”– the paper was ranked among the top 50 of the 15,000 papers in the 400 journals in Emerald Management Reviews (formerly Anbar). List of journals includes JCR, JM, JMR, JAMS, SMJ, … Awarded in 2006.
Best Paper in Marketing Research Track, 2005 Society for Marketing Advances Conference for “Analyzing Auction Data: What Doesn’t Sell Could Matter” with Bruce Alford and Otis Gilley.
Outstanding Scholar on the Practice of Marketing in China, 2004. Awarded by the Golden Tripod Marketing Awards Committee (China) and the Society for Marketing Advances (USA). Previous recipients: Phil Kotler, Don Schultz, Ilan Alon.
International Faculty Development Seminar to Cuba June 9-19, 2002 with the Council for International Educational Exchange (CIEE).
AMA Doctoral Consortium Fellow at University of Colorado-Boulder, 1996.
Superior Graduate Achievement Award, Department of Marketing, University of Missouri, 1996.
1st place in the Social Sciences of the University of Missouri Research and Creative Activities Forum, 1996.
1st place in the Social Sciences of the University of Missouri Research and Creative Activities Forum, 1995.
University of Nebraska Marketing Doctoral Symposium, Lincoln, Nebraska, 1994.
Ponder Scholarship in Business, University of Missouri - Columbia, 1993 -1998.
- Freshman Orientation - The University of Tulsa
- Business and Society - The University of Tulsa
- Principles of Marketing - The University of Tulsa, Mississippi State University
- Consumer Behavior - The University of Tulsa, University of Missouri
- Advertising and Promotion - IMC - The University of Tulsa, Mississippi State University, University of Missouri
- Innovation - The University of Tulsa
- Marketing Management - The University of Tulsa, University of Missouri
- Marketing Research, MBA - Mississippi State University
- Consumer Behavior, MBA - The University of Tulsa
- Advanced Marketing Management, MBA - The University of Tulsa
Teaching Awards and Honors
- University Faculty Teaching Award - The University of Tulsa, 2011-2012
- Studio Blue recognized by American Advertising Federation with 2 "Addy" Awards in student category, 2011
- Studio Blue recognized by Creative Oklahoma with a Great Inspiration Award, 2010
- Scotch and Smokes Award - TU Mortar Board, 2009
- Innovation in Teaching Award, TU College of Business Administration, 2004
- National Teaching Award - Houghton-Mifflin Pride/Ferrell Innovative Teacher in Marketing Award, 2003
- Nominee - TU College of Business Teaching Award, 2000-2001, 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012
- Nominee - Innovation in Teaching Award, TU College of Business, 2002-2003
- National Finalist - Houghton-Mifflin Teaching Innovation Competition, 2002
- Nominee - Undergraduate Teaching Award, MSU College of Business and Industry, 1998- and 1999
1997 Donald K. Anderson Teaching Award, University of Missouri
1996 Donald K. Anderson Teaching Award, University of Missouri
Distance Education Experience
Delivered MBA Marketing Research course by live satellite link to U.S. Marine Corps bases in Okinawa, Japan and in California during summer of 1999
Taught iMBA Advanced Marketing Management course via WebCT at The University of Tulsa
1998-2007 - Inventory Procurement Services - Hattiesburg, MS: E-commerce consulting project leading to the establishment of an e-commerce business generating a growing stream of revenue from the sale of merchandise over the Internet. IPS is now one of the top eBay sellers.
1996-1998 - Premier Marketing Group - Columbia, MO: Customer satisfaction consulting project with a group of four radio stations and direct mail business. Responsible for coordinating and conducting seven salesforce interviews, two focus groups with business customers, survey development, administration, data analysis, write-up, and presenting results to the client. Conducted with Dr. Kenneth R. Evans, University of Missouri.
1994 (fall) - Hallmark Cards - Kansas City, MO: Retail consulting / quantitative modeling project involving store site selection. Conducted with Dr. Albert R. Wildt, University of Missouri.
Grant from the Koch Charitable Foundation to launch the Applied Innovation Certificate, 2012.
Grant from the Koch Charitable Foundation to launch the Entrepreneurship Academy, 2010.
The University of Tulsa Research Grants– Spring 2001, and Summers 2001-2004. CBA Research Grant – Summer 2005.
Award from the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce in 1999 to perform a feasibility study for "The Southern Arts and Entertainment Center and Mississippi Music Hall of Fame;" $28,000. Project completed in December 1999.
Award from the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce in 1999, a site selection study for "The Mississippi Arts and Entertainment Center;" $10,000. Project completed in March 2000.
Journal of Marketing Education, Editorial Review Board, 2004-present
Journal of Business Market Management, Editorial Review Board, 2006-present
Journal of Advertising, ad hoc Reviewer, 2009-present
Journal of Business Research, ad hoc Reviewer, 2011
Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, ad hoc Reviewer, 2009-2010
Journal of Marketing, ad hoc Reviewer, 2004-2008
Journal of Retailing, ad hoc Reviewer, 2005-2009
Journal of Marketing Theory & Practice, ad hoc Reviewer, 2007
Journal of Relationship Marketing, ad hoc Reviewer, 2003
International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management, ad hoc Reviewer, 2006
Electronic Markets: The International Journal of Electronic Commerce and Business Media, ad hoc Reviewer, 2003
Marketing Education Review, ad hoc Reviewer for teaching innovations special issue, 2005-2010
International Entrepreneurship & Management Journal, ad hoc Reviewer, 2005
- Invited panelist, 2012 Liberty Fund Conference, Washington DC.
- External reviewer for tenure, 2011 Montana State University marketing review committee
- Advisory Board member, CollaborAid, www.projectcollaboraid.org, 2009
- Editor, Research Book Reviews, ACR News, 1999-2007. Newsletter published 3 times/year for the 1700 members of the Association for Consumer Research.
- Track Chair, 2012 Society for Marketing Advances Conference, IMC track
- Session Chair, 2012 American Marketing Association Summer Educators Conference
- Reviewer, 2012 American Marketing Association Summer Educators Conference, Chicago, IL
- Reviewer, 2010 American Marketing Association Summer Educators Conference, Boston, MA
- Reviewer, 2007 American Marketing Association Summer Educators Conference, Washington DC
- Reviewer, 2006 Association for Consumer Research Conference, Orlando, FL
- Reviewer, 2006 Association for Consumer Research Asia-Pacific Conference, Sydney, Australia
- Reviewer, 2005 Association for Consumer Research Conference, San Antonio, TX
- Discussant, 2005 Society for Marketing Advances Conference, San Antonio, TX
- Reviewer, 2005 Academy of Marketing Science Conference, Tampa, FL
- Reviewer, 2005 Academy of Marketing Science World Marketing Congress, Muenster, Germany
- Reviewer, 2004 Association for Consumer Research Conference, Portland, OR
- Invited panelist, 2004 Marketing Management Association Conference, St. Louis, MO
- Reviewer, 2003 Academy of Marketing Science Conference, Washington DC
- Reviewer, 2002 Association for Consumer Research Conference, Atlanta, GA
- Reviewer, 2001 European Association for Consumer Research Conference; Berlin, Germany
- Reviewer, 2001 Association for Consumer Research Conference; Austin, TX
- Discussant, 2000 Association for Consumer Research Conference; Salt Lake City, UT
- Reviewer, 2000 Association for Consumer Research Conference; Salt Lake City, UT
- Textbook reviewer, Consumers, by Eric Arnould, Linda Price, and George Zinkhan, McGraw-Hill/Irwin, copyright 2003
- Textbook reviewer, Promotion and Integrated Marketing Communications, by Rich Semenik, Southwestern Publishing, copyright 2002
- Member: Association for Consumer Research, American Marketing Association, American Advertising Federation, Society for Marketing Advances
The University of Tulsa
- Director, The Nova Fellowship at TU, 2011 - present
- TURC faculty advisor, 2010-11
- University Committee reviewing TU recruitment, admission and financial aid strategies, 2011
- Director, Studio Blue, 2006 - present
- Produced a 5 minute video for use by the Admissions Department, 2011
- Produced a 3 minute video for use by the Collins College of Business Career Office, 2011
- TU Freshmen Leadership Institute, 2011 & 2012
- Tulsa Time facilitator with prospective students and parents, 2010 & 2011
- Director, TrueBlue Neighbors benefit shirt project, 2010-present
- University Faculty Appeals Board, 2006-2009
- TU Campus Culture subcommittee, American Council on Education Internationalization, 2010
- Director, campus-wide networking event with Tulsa’s Young Professionals, 2009 & 2010
- Invited panelist, OETA State of Creativity screening event, 2009
- Director, state-wide collegiate Social Innovation Challenge, 2009
- Led a 2-hour seminar with a delegation from Vietnam with the OK Dept of Commerce, 2009
- Coordinated and moderated two focus groups for Mazzio’s
- Faculty Advisor, NASA Means Business Competition, 2008
- Google’s Juicy Ideas Competition, 2008
- Director, Mazzio’s Innovation Challenge, 2008
- University Service Learning Task Force, 2008
- Faculty advisor for TU’s National Student Advertising Competition team, 2003 - 2009
- Judge, TU Annual Student Research Colloquium, 2007, 2010, 2012
- CCoB Undergraduate Business Programs Academic Policy and Review Committee – Fall 2003 to Present; Committee Chair: 2003, 2006, 2010, 2011
- College Promotion & Tenure Committee, 2007-present
- Collins College of Business (CCoB) International Business committee – 2001 - 2009
- MBA Core Curriculum Committee, 2008
- CCoB Accreditation Council, 2006
- CCoB search committee, MBA enrollment management coordinator, 2006
- CCoB search committee, Wellspring International Business Professor, 2006
- Faculty advisor, Marketing Society/American Marketing Association chapter – Fall 2000 to present. The AMA Student Chapter received a “TU’s Finest” award from SA in Spring 2002
- Guest lecturer at Bishop Kelly High School journalism class, Fall 2002
- TU University Relations - conducted focus groups with students, alums, faculty/staff – Spring 2002
- TU Freshman Orientation faculty mentor, 2002
- University search committee for TU Director of Admissions and Student Services – Summer 2001
- University committee – TU bookstore, 2001-2
- “Brainstorm” Award from TU Quality Service Council – Spring 2001
- Proposal for an IMC specialization within Marketing major, Fall 2001
- CCoB Rights and Responsibilities committee, 2000-1
- Student internship coordinator, Marketing and Management department, 2000-01
- Numerous meetings and sessions with CCoB Executive Advisory Board, Admissions staff with guidance counselors, prospective students, parents of current and prospective students, …
- Medicine Wheel Award, University of Tulsa, 2012
- Class projects benefiting numerous regional non-profit and for-profit clients, 2006-present. Examples: Family and Children’s Services (promotional materials for Women in Recovery program), Project Mend (logo), Insure Oklahoma (Two 30-sec PSA videos)
- Facilitator and speaker at outreach programs to local elementary schools, 2009-2011
- True Blue Neighbors Teacher Appreciation Reception, 2011
- Judge, 67th Annual Oklahoma DECA Career Development Conference for high-school marketing students, 2010
- Social Innovation Challenge Summit with 25 college students from 5 Oklahoma colleges and 25 state experts and community leaders, April 10, 2009
- Focus groups conducted for Mazzio’s, April 8, 2009
- Oversight of additional student projects for Leadership Tulsa, Up With Trees, Jaguar Club of Oklahoma, Gilcrease Museum, and CertiRestore powered by Resonance
- Speaker, Seminar for Sonic Drive-In executive team with Larry Wofford, Spring 2008
- Pro bono consultation with Hogan & Slovacek, a Tulsa-based mid-size accounting firm
- Pro bono consultation with Dorsey Inc., a real estate development firm in Verdigris, OK
- Pro bono consultation with President and sales rep from Creative Specialists, a local healthcare firm
- Pro bono consultation with the North Tulsa Neighborhood Alliance regarding a Fannie Mae grant
- Launch of TU Relay for Life event through student chapter of AMA
- Soccer coach for under-8 boys, Fall 2001
- Cub Scouts Blue and Gold Banquet, volunteer: 2001 – 2003
- Advisory Board member for Mississippi Horse Park, 1999-2000
Tulsa World, Collins College of Business and True Blue Neighbors highlighted in article “Expression of Army Life,” Scene section front page, September 12, 2011
- KJRH, Channel 2 story, 2 minutes, True Blue Neighbor shirt project mentioned in story “Making a Difference: TU students mentor young students,” September 12, 2011
Tulsa World, “May grads first to complete TU's nonprofit management certification program,” Local Section front page, April 23, 2011
Tulsa World, Studio Blue’s student Addy Awards announced in article “Ad vet honored by Addy,” Business Section front page, February 20, 2011
Tulsa World “TrueBlue Spirit,” Scene section front page, September 28, 2010
- Article in BIZ Ed, the magazine of AACSB (July 2010)
- Interview on KOTV with Chris Howell, Channel 6 regarding TU’s Social Innovation Challenge (April 2009)
- OETA “State of Creativity” documentary, airing began March 2009
Tulsa People Magazine “New Blue view” CityBeat section, pages 27-29, January 2009
Tulsa World “Lessons in Restoration” page A-2, December 29, 2008
Tulsa World “Taking Space to a New Frontier” Business section front page, September 5, 2008
The Journal Record “Not Your Daddy’s College Classroom” Section B front page, September 3, 2008
- Interview on KJRH, Channel 2 regarding pricing differences among retail grocery chains (Feb 2006)
- Article in TU Business News (Feb 2005), “Marketing Professor Wins Award and a Trip to China”
- Appearance on KOTV, Channel 6 – interview with anchor Rick Wells regarding consumer behavior at eBay.com (Feb 2003)
- Articles in TU Alumni Magazine (summer 2001), TU Business News (winter 2003), and TU CBA Business Reporter (summer 2002)
- Appearance on KJRH, Channel 2 with Professor Jackson – interview regarding political advertising (Oct 2001)
Tulsa World “TU Professor Injects Reality” Business section front page, April 15, 2001
Tulsa World “Online Sales Take Savvy,” Business section cover story, April 15, 2001
Areas of Academic Specialty
- Integrated marketing communications
- Consumer behavior
- Consumer life transitions
Previous Teaching Experience
2000-Present - Associate Professor of Marketing, Collins College of Business, The University of Tulsa.
Courses Taught: Principles of Marketing, Consumer Behavior, Marketing Management, Integrated Marketing Communications, Innovation, Business & Societ, MBA Marketing Management, MBA Marketing Research, MBA Consumer Behavior. Awaded tenure in Fall 2006.
1998-2000 - Assistant Professor of Marketing, College of Business, Mississippi State University.
Courses Taught: Principles of Marketing, MBA Marketing Research, Avertising and Promotion.
1997-1998 - Adjunct Professor of Marketing, College of Business, University of Missouri.
Courses Taught: Promotion Management, Marketing Management.
1993-1997 - Research and Teaching Assistant, College of Business, University of Missouri.
Taught Consumer Behavior, Management of Promotion, and Marketing Management and implemented academic researc projects with faculty.
1990-1993 - Information Systems Department, Regent University.
Graduate student worker responsible for conducting software training with university staff, installing and maintaining hardware, and scheduling student help at computer labs.
Previous Relevant Work Experience
1984-1990 - Executive Board, Impact Productions, Inc., Tulsa, OK
New startup launch, incorporation in 1984. General management and leadership responsibilities in an international stage / video production company of 45, assuming financial, personnel, and promotional responsibilities. Travel, booking, performance, and contract negotiations across North and South America, Europe, and the former USSR.
1981-1984 - Petroleum Engineer, Amoco Production Co., Tulsa, OK
Served as liaison between engineers and IS programming staff in the design, maintenance, and training for 25 technical programs in national timeshare system.
1978 & 1979 - Sales Representative, Southwestern Book Co., Nashville, TN. (summers)
Door-to-door sales, Alabama and North Carolina. Canvassed rural territory 80 hours/wk selling books to help pay for college.
Other Work Experience
1993 (spring) - Marketing Research Intern, Union Camp, Liverpool, England.
Responsible for activities related to international business to business marketing in Liverpool, England with flavor and fragrance subsidiary Bush Boake Allen, Ltd.
1992 (summer) - Financial Analyst Intern, Kidder, Peabody & Co., Norfolk, VA.
Investment analyst maintaining and reporting on corporate pension accounts.
- Association for Consumer Research
- Society for Marketing Advances
- American Marketing Association