I grew up in Chicago and put myself through college working as a merchandise designer for the original Crate and Barrel. This was the beginning of my interest in the business world. After college I began my nursing career at The University of Chicago. In this inner city multicultural environment I developed a deep appreciation for team work and diversity as it pertains to patient care as well as organizational effectiveness. As a University of Tulsa school of nursing faculty member I am involved in program satisfaction. I teach a Folk healing class and have responsibility for the leadership management content of the curriculum. I have most recently looked at the effect of Magnet Program initiatives on nurse retention.
Education and Degrees Earned
- 2005- 2007 Texas Woman’s University PhD Nursing, (42) hrs
- 1998-99 University of Tulsa, (3) Philosophy, (12) Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- 1993 University of Oklahoma, 3 hrs. Women in the helping professions.
- 1986-1987 Oklahoma State university 6 hrs, Occupational and Adult Education
- 1982-85 University of Utah, Salt Lake City MSN: 1986 Thesis: An exploratory study of computer anxiety in a selected population of nurses.
- 1974-1977 University of Illinois Chicago, Medical Center BSN: 1977.
- 1972-1974 University of Illinois Chicago, pre nursing
Areas of Academic Specialty
- Nursing Leadership and Management
- Folk Healing- 2123
Areas of Research Focus
Quality Nursing Leadership, Magnet Programs, Program evaluation, Complementary Therapies, evidenced based practices.
Previous Teaching Experience
- Assistant Clinical Professor University of Tulsa, Sept 2004-present
- Visiting clinical Instructor University of Tulsa, January 1994 – 2004
- Visiting Clinical Instructor East Carolina University, June 2000– August 2000
- Faculty, Langston University UCT, January 1990- August 1993, September 1986-June 1987
- Faculty, Rogers State College, December 1983- December 1985. (Part Time) August 1993- December 1993, September 1988-1990.
Previous Relevant Work Experience
- Clinical Nurse, St Francis Access Center (Part time) March 1998-present
- Member unit quality review committee, Member Technology Update and Evaluation Committee.
- Legal Nurse Consultant May 1991-1998
- Clinical Nurse I, Saint Francis Hospital, June 1987-November 1987.
- Clinical Manager, University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics, June 1980- September 1981.
- Clinical Educator, Park City Family Health Clinic, September 1981-1983.
- Health Education Consulting, Chicago HMO, June 1979- June 1980
- Nurse Recruiter, Roosevelt Hospital, and November, 1979-June 1980.
- Clinical Nurse I, University Of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics, June 1977-November 1979.
- Oklahoma Nurses Association
- American Nurses Association
- National League of Nursing
- American Holistic Nurses Association
- Registered Nurse Community Volunteers
- Sigma Theta Tau: Zeta-Delta-Chapter at-large
- Faculty Counselor, 1995-98
- Vice President 1999-2001
- President 2001-2003, BOD as past president 2003-2004
- Correspondence committee member, 1999-2000
- News letter editor and distribution, maintain internet news letter 2000-present