Applied Professor of Deaf EducationMary K. Chapman Center 105 B
Dr. Baker’s professional background includes working in educational settings and classrooms for deaf or hard of hearing students. She has been involved with the Center for ASL/English Bilingual Education and Research (CAEBER), the Gallaudet Leadership Institute (GLI) and The Center for Visual Languages and Visual Learning (VL2), at Gallaudet University in Washington, DC. In addition, Dr. Baker has worked on national projects related to educational and video-based technologies that facilitate visual communication and visual learning. Research interests include how languages are acquired through signed and written forms, socio-cultural and socio-linguistic aspects of the Deaf community, and diversity among Deaf and hard of hearing students.
Dr. Baker has been Director of Deaf Education since 2002.
Education and Degrees Earned
- Bachelor of Science, Deaf Education, Oklahoma College of Liberal Arts
- Masters of Education, Educational Administration, University of Oklahoma
- Doctorate of Education, Curriculum and Instruction, Oklahoma State University
Previous Teaching Experience
- Outreach Consultant, Oklahoma School for the Deaf
- Special Assistant to the President, South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind (SCSDB), Spartanburg, SC
- Deaf Educator Moore-Norman Vocational Technical School, Norman, OK
- Resource Room Teacher – Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students
Chickasha High School, Chickasha, OK
- Teacher of the Deaf-Jane Brooks School, Chickasha, Ok.