Jane Ellen Ackerman
Education and Degrees Earned
- Ph.D. in Spanish Literature, University of Kentucky, 1982. Dissertation: "The Literary Tradition of the Song of Songs in Sixteenth- and Seventeenth-Century Hispanic Poetry".
- M.A. in Spanish Literature, University of Kentucky, 1974.
- B.A. with Honors in Spanish, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1970
Areas of Research Focus
- Continental mystical writing
- Medieval Christian monasticism
- The Carmelite order
- European thought about Native Americans and America.
Previous Teaching Experience
- 1983-1989 Assistant Professor of Spanish, Department of Foreign Languages and Comparative Literature, The University of Tulsa
- 1980-1983 Assistant Professor of Spanish, Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo, Michigan
- 1978-1980 English Foreign Language Instructor, Consejo Nacional de Ciencias y Tecnología, México City, México Graduate Teaching Assistantships
- Affiliate Faculty Member, Carmelite Institute and Washington Theological Union, Washington, D.C., 1997-98, 2003-present, delivering a distance-learning course on the early Carmelite order in their curriculum from time to time.
- Affiliate Researcher, Sarah Irwin Library and Archive, Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa, Oklahoma, 2010-2011.