Associate Professor of PsychologyDirector of Undergraduate Studies for PsychologyLorton Hall 302G
Personality in the Workplace
My research on personality focuses on the effects of individual differences in obligation and entitlement on prosocial behavior and citizenship performance. I am exploring whether obligation and entitlement can be used to describe other orientations. I am also interested in the use of narrow personality traits in the workplace.
My research on job attitudes focuses on the measurement and structure of employee engagement and other job attitudes. Specifically, this includes incremental prediction and construct validity in the use of job attitudes.
Responsible Conduct of Research Training
I am conducting research investigating the effectiveness of using Role Play techniques to teach aspects of Responsible Conduct of Research. Role play topics include mentoring, authorship, human subjects, and whistleblowing. This research includes comparisons with other pedagogical techniques.
I am interested in a variety of issues in psychological measurement. Some of these topics include equating behavioral simulations and assessment centers, detecting history effects in survey data, and weighting in structural equations modeling.
Education and Degrees Earned
- Ph.D., Industrial/Organizational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, October 2008
- M.A., Industrial/Organizational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, December, 2005
- B.A., Psychology, Calvin College, May, 2002
Areas of Research Focus
- Personality in the Workplace
- Job Attitudes
- Responsible Conduct of Research Training
- Psychological Measurement
Previous Teaching Experience
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Research Experience in Psychology Lab (Psyc 290)
- Introduction to Industrial-Organizational Psychology (Psyc 245)
- Introduction to Social Psychology (Psyc 201)
Previous Relevant Work Experience
- Consulting for Spectrum Human Resources Consulting Corporation (2005)
- Certified Administrator of the Managerial Development Program (2003-2005)
- Steelcase Corporation – Internship in Organizational Change Management (2001)
- Society for Industrial Organizational Psychology
- Association for Research in Personality
- American Psychological Association
- Association for Psychological Science