“A man’s reach must exceed his grasp...” - Robert Browning, poet.
TU DEPARTMENT OF THEATRE, MUSICAL THEATRE & DANCE: EXTENDING OUR REACH IN ALL DIRECTIONS!
The Department of Theatre, Musical Theatre and Dance is a pre-professional educational program in a liberal arts institution with a major national standing.
The Department offers a three-pronged objective for student outcomes:
- Focused training in the arts and crafts of acting, directing, writing, design and/or technology for those intending to enter the highly competitive business of professional theatre;
- Indepth inquiry into the practical, theoretical and historical aspects of theatre for those intending to attend graduate school;
- Foundational awareness through a broad spectrum of coursework for those for whom theatre will be a lifelong personal enrichment as attendee, patron or occasional participant.
The core of theatre study is collaboration. At TU, this cooperative approach fuels the creative process and is the heart of a student-focused liberal arts education.
Training in the Theatre Arts Program promotes:
- Communication and critical thinking skills;
- Working knowledge of all aspects of the profession;
- Inquisitiveness and imaginative engagement with the world;
- The tools to develop a strong personal aesthetic and sense of self;
- Artistic initiative and risk taking founded in a passion for creative expression;
- Social engagement through active contributions to the community.
Training is achieved through an interdisciplinary approach, not only in theatre, but in languages, history, art, business, philosophy and technology, providing the student with practical life skills and adaptability that cross over into other professions.
“Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.” - Pamela Vaull Starr, poet, artist, and writer.