Kara Gae Neal
Dr. Neal’s professional experiences in urban education are extensive: Secondary School Teacher, High School Principal, School Superintendent, the Last Elected School Superintendent of Tulsa County. Superintendent of Metro Tech in Oklahoma City and Tulsa Tech which are Oklahoma’s two largest career and technical educational districts in the State.
A Fulbright Scholar in Italy in 1979, Dr. Neal has received many honors and recognitions for her leadership as a tireless advocate for educational reforms and advancements in early childhood, classroom technology, dropout recovery, literacy, community schools, career and technical education.
A major focus for Dr. Neal in the School of Urban Education is strengthening teacher preparation for the challenges of classrooms of cultural diversity and economic disparity.
Education and Degrees Earned
- Ed. D. (Administration), University of Tulsa. Graduated. Dissertation Title: A Test of the Interactionist Theory of Conflict Management
- M.A. (English), Oklahoma State University. Graduated.
- B.A. (History), Oklahoma State University. Graduated.
Areas of Academic Specialty
- School Administration and Leadership
- Career and Technical Education
- Curriculum and Instruction
- History of Education
- English and American Literature
Previous Teaching Experience
- 1970-73 Dewey, OK Dewey High School, English
- 1969, Summer Woodbridge, VA Prince William County High School; American Literature
- 1968-69 Woodbridge, VA Rippon Junior High, Language Arts
- Spring, 1992 “Fundamentals of Curriculum”, University of Tulsa
- Spring, 1990 “Curriculum Theory”, University of Tulsa
- Fall, 1986 “Philosophy of Education” Northeastern State Univ in Tulsa
Relevant Pro Bono Work
Dr. Neal has served on both boards of the Tulsa and Oklahoma City Chambers of Commerce and on the boards of the United Way in both cities. She has served on the boards of the Oklahoma Aquarium, the Magic Empire of Girl Scouts’ Juliette Low Society and the Oklahoma Academy for State Goals, among many others. She is a member of Leadership Oklahoma.
- Southern Regional Educational Board Member, Appointed by Gov. Brad Henry, 2009-present
- Fulbright Association (current)
- Tulsa Council of Area School Administrators (TCASA) (current)