Gates Millennium Scholars Workshop
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 from 06:30 PM to 08:00 PM
The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program, established in 1999, is funded by a $1.6 billion grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to UNCF—the United Negro College Fund—the nation’s largest and most effective minority education organization. The goal of GMS is to educate “Leaders for America’s Future”™ by providing eligible students with the opportunity to complete an undergraduate college education in the discipline of their choice and continue through a doctoral degree in seven GMS funded fields.
All interested high school students (grades 9, 10, 11 and 12) and their parents are welcome to attend the workshop to learn more about the GMS Program and the application process.
Wednesday,October 16, 2013
6:30pm - 8:00pm
The University of Tulsa
2930 E. 6th Street
Tulsa, OK 74104
Please click here to register.
ELIGIBILITY FOR SCHOLARSHIP
Students are eligible to be considered for a GMS scholarship if they meet all of the following criteria:
- Are African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American or Hispanic American
- Are a citizen, national or legal permanent resident of the United States
- Have attained a cumulative high school GPA of 3.3 on an unweighted 4.0 scale or have earned a GED
- Will enroll for the first time at a U.S. located, accredited college or university (with the exception of students concurrently pursuing a high school diploma) in the fall of 2014 as a full-time, degree-seeking, first-year student. First-time college enrollees can also be GED recipients.
- Have demonstrated leadership abilities through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities
- Meet the Federal Pell Grant eligibility criteria
- Have completed and submitted all three required forms: the student’s application (Nominee Personal Information Form), an evaluation of the student’s academic record (Nominator Form) and an evaluation of the student’s community service and leadership activities(Recommender Form) by the deadline