Funds available to students from outside sources, such as state and federal grants and loans, are taken into account when an applicant's financial need is determined. These funds may require a separate application. The amounts from these sources shown on the Award Notice may be estimates and may change when finalized. If necessary, the Office of Student Financial Services will adjust its aid offer after the actual amounts of outside aid are verified during the course of the academic year, contingent on funds available. These funds are administered by agencies outside The University of Tulsa, but completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) initiates the application procedure for most of these programs.

Federal Pell Grant-This grant is available to undergraduates, and range from $585 to $5730 based on an entitlement computation formula and federal funding. Application is made through the FAFSA. PELL will credit the student's account no earlier than the first day of classes if the award is finalized. Students who are PELL recipients and are receiving scholarships that cover their charges in full must contact the Bursar's Office to obtain information on how to purchase their required books in the bookstore.

Beginning with 2012-2013 all students who are Pell Grant recipients (including students who have previously received a Pell Grant) have a limit of 12 full-time equivalent semesters (600%) of eligibility.  After 12 full-time equivalent semesters, eligibility ends.  Students can check their eligibilty used by going to

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant- (FSEOG)-This federal grant is awarded to undergraduate students showing financial need with priority given to Federal Pell Grant recipients. The number of awards depends on the annual funding allocations set by the U.S. Department of Education.  FSEOG will credit the student's account no earlier than the first day of classes if the award notification has been accepted and returned to the Office of Student Financial Services. 

University Grant-This award is made possible from general funds budgeted each year with approval of The University of Tulsa Board of Trustees and are available only to full-time undergraduate students. Renewal is based upon evidence of need determined by the FAFSA and a 2.0 cumulative gpa. During the semester, these awards may be underwritten by an endowed or supported scholarship. The total amount of the award will not change if underwritten. University grants credit to the student's account no earlier than the first day of class.

Early Filer's Grant - This grant is a $1000 renewable grant.  The application process applies to new freshman only that are making application for the Fall 2014.  The FAFSA must be filed by March 14, 2014, and the student must be enrolled full time in order to be eligible for these funds.  This grant is available for eight semesters as long as the student is enrolled full time and maintains a cumulative 2.0 grade point average.  It is not necessary that families file the FAFSA annually to receive the renewal of this grant.  Transfer students are not eligible for this grant.  IMPORTANT:  If you are a student athlete you must contact The University of Tulsa Athletic Compliance Office to determine if you are eligible to accept this grant per the NCAA rules.

Hurricane Pledge - TU will match dollar for dollar OKPromise funding for students who are eligible to receive Oklahoma's Promise beginning in fall 2014.  TU's match is limited to tuition expenses for fall and spring semesters only.  Students must meet all eligibility requirements that are necessary to receive OKPromise.  Students must have originally applied and been approved for OKPromise during their 8th, 9th or 10th grade year in high school.  All entering, first time freshman receiving OK Promise are required to file a FAFSA and are subject to a second income check.  Recipients must also meet program accumulative gpa requirements.  Renewal of the Hurricane Pledge is dependent on renewal of OKPromise funds.

TEACH Grant-Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant.  This grant is for students who plan to teach after graduation.  This grant must be repaid as a direct unsubsidized loan if the student does not teach for at least four years within eight years of completing their program as a highly qualified teacher, at  a Title I School or in a specified subject area.  Students may receive up to $4,000 for first undergraduate programs with an aggregate of $16,000.  Graduate students may receive $4,000 annually with an aggregate of $8,000.  If the student enrolls less than full time, these amounts will be pro-rated.  Students must complete the FAFSA, and must maintain a cumulative 3.25 gpa to receive the grant.  New students must be in the 75th percentile on admissions tests (i.e. SAT, ACT, GRE) to be eligible.  The TEACH Grant will credit the student's account once eligibility has been verified and no earlier than the first day of class each semester.  Effective with all first disbursements of Teach Grants after March 1, 2013, a 6.0 percent reduction of the originally allowed Teach Grant will be awarded ($4,000 x 6% -= $3,760).  Effective with all first disbursements of Teach Grants after October 1, 2013, a 7.2% reduction of the originally allowed Teach Grant will be awarded ($4,000 x 7.2% = $3,712).  *This is subject to changes made regularly by the Dept. of Education.


Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant (OTAG)-Oklahoma residents may qualify for awards up to $1,300. Application is made by completing the FAFSA. Early application is important as funding is limited.  Before OTAG awards are disbursed, Oklahoma residency will be verified by the Office of Student Financial Services, using the State Regent's policy for determining residency. The FAFSA must be received by the processing center by March 1st of the award year to meet state deadlines. OTAG is billed after the third week of classes.  Funds will credit the student's account upon receipt of the check from the State Treasurer's Office.  Students who are not Oklahoma residents are encouraged to contact their home state to inquire about the availability of grant assistance.

Oklahoma Tuition Equalization Grant (OTEG)-Oklahoma residents meeting certain income categories may receive $2000 in assistance.  These recipients are chosen by TU according to regulations.  Funding is limited and may be used to offset university scholarships.  Application is made through the FAFSA.  This grant is a need based grant; renewability depends on the family's income.  OTEG is billed after the census date of each semester.  Census date is approximately eight weeks into the semester.  Funds will credit the student's account upon receipt of the check from the State Treasurer's Office.

Oklahoma's Promise - To receive Oklahoma's Promise (previously known as OHLAP) the student must have qualified during their 8th, 9th or 10th grade year of high school and be an Oklahoma resident. If approved, and the student continues to meet Oklahoma's Promise requirements, the State of Oklahoma will pay a pre-set dollar amount per credit hour each semester. Summer funding is available. The student must notify the Office of Student Financial Services upon enrollment that they are an Oklahoma's Promise participant. Eligibility ends once you earn a baccalaureate degree or five years after you start college, whichever comes first. For students entering college prior to 2012, satisfactory academic progress standards established by the school for federal funding is required. For students entering college in 2012, a cumulative 2.0 gpa is required for courses taken through the end of the student's sophomore year, and a 2.5 cumulative gpa is required for courses taken as a junior and senior. A second income check becomes effective for 2012 for all entering students and all entering students thereafter. The income limit is $100,000 and changes from "taxable and nontaxable income" to "federal adjusted gross income." Beginning with the fall of 2012 semester and thereafter ALL Oklahoma's Promise recipients are subject to the college's satisfactory academic progress policy (SAP). This means that even students that have received Oklahoma's Promise (OHLAP) funds in the past during a period of financial aid suspension will no longer be eligible for the award if aid is suspended in the future. It also means that the financial aid office will need to check all Oklahoma's Promise students for SAP including those that did not apply for and/or receive federal financial aid.  Oklahoma's Promise is billed after the 3rd week of classes.

Oklahoma Academic Scholars (OKAC)-The State of Oklahoma awards scholarships to academically outstanding students who plan to attend an Oklahoma public or private college or university.  Scholarship funding may be received for eight semesters if the student meets the requirements established by the State of Oklahoma.  Students must complete the application provided by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education.  A minimum cumulative gpa of 3.25 and completion of 24 credit hours per academic year is required to receive Oklahoma Academic Scholars funding.  A roster verifying full-time enrollment and cumulative gpa is submitted to the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education upon the third week of classes each semester.  Funds will credit the student's account upon receipt of the check from the State Treasurer's Office.