Summer Financial Aid Process
Summer 2013 Applications will be available during the Spring 2013 semester.
Summer 2013 eligibility is determined using the results of the 2012 - 2013 FAFSA as well as your summer enrollment plans and living arrangements. If you received federal financial aid at The University of Tulsa for the Fall 2012 and/or Spring 2013 semester(s), you would have already filed the 2012 - 2013 FAFSA. If you are unsure whether or not you filed, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services.
If you want to apply for summer federal financial aid at The University of Tulsa (TU), please complete the following steps.
- You must be enrolled at least half time in summer classes.
- You must complete the Summer 2013 Financial Aid Application and return it to the Office of Student Financial Services before the last day of class in your summer session.
Note: If you borrow Direct Stafford loans for Summer 2013, it may affect your total loan eligibility for Fall 2013. If you intend to utilize Direct Stafford loans for Summer 2013 and Fall 2013, you should consult your financial aid advisor.
- We will send an email directing you to Web Advisor to view and print your summer Award Letter which will be listed under the 2012 academic year. Undergraduate students will not receive an award letter until spring semester grades have posted in May.
- You must sign and return your summer Award Letter to the Office of Student Financial Services in order for any estimated Direct Stafford loans to be processed.
- To apply for a Direct Graduate PLUS loan or Direct Parent PLUS loan, the graduate student or undergraduate student’s parent must go to www.studentloans.gov, click on “Request Direct PLUS loan,” and select either Graduate PLUS or Parent PLUS. Complete the steps for an immediate credit decision.
- If you have not already e-signed the Master Promissory Notes (eMPNs) or completed Entrance Counseling for the Direct Stafford or PLUS loans for which you applied, please go to www.studentloans.gov and complete these items. Parent borrowers do not complete entrance counseling.
- Federal financial aid will not be awarded until you are enrolled in summer classes.
All students wanting to apply for federal financial aid and will be attending a study abroad program or visiting another school during the summer session must complete the Summer 2013 Financial Aid application and the Study Abroad/Visiting Student Form. If studying abroad, undergraduate and graduate students must also fill out the Center for Global Education’s Study Abroad Budget Form and return it to their office for approval.
Enrollment in a study abroad or visiting student program, approved for credit by TU, will have enrollment status at TU for purposes of applying for federal financial aid. TU will be considered the home school and will be responsible for processing federal financial aid.
Please contact the Office of Student Financial Services to inquire about the paperwork required to apply for federal financial aid for study abroad or visiting student programs, and to learn how it will affect your federal financial aid the next semester when you return to TU. Your future financial aid cannot be released until the grades from your study abroad or visiting student program are received and posted to your student transcript by TU.
Minimum Enrollment Requirements for Student Loans
4 weeks min 1 hour
5 weeks min 2 hours
6 weeks min 3 hours
7 weeks min 3 hours
8 weeks min 4 hours
10 weeks min 4 hours
12 weeks min 5 hours