Study Abroad

Information you need to know:

  1. You will need to speak with your academic advisor well in advance of your intent to Study Abroad to ensure that the Study Abroad courses and credits are approved for your academic program.  Enrollment in a study abroad program, approved for credit by TU, will have enrollment at TU for purposes of applying for federal financial aid.  TU will be considered the home school and will be responsible for processing federal financial aid for that one semester.
  2. You will need to contact the Center for Global Education (CGE) Office to inform them of your interest in a Study Abroad program.  After a decision has been made on your Study Abroad Program, you will need to pick up a Study Abroad Budget Form.  Complete the form and get a staff member from the CGE office to sign it.  The Study Abroad Budget Form should be submitted to the Office of Student Financial Services.  Our office is located on the West side of Collins Hall.  The Study Abroad Budget Form is only beneficial toward federal student loan and private loan eligibility.  The Study Abroad Budget Form will not increase your scholarship funding.  As a general rule, the scholarship, grant and loan funding that you receive to attend TU will also apply to Study Abroad expenses.  If the Study Abroad Program that you choose costs more than what you have been awarded in financial aid, the additional expenses will be absorbed by the student.  In addition to the Study Abroad Budget Form, you will complete a Study Abroad/Visiting Student Form from the Office of Student Financial Services.  Study Abroad/Visiting Student Form
  3. The CGE Office will send the Office of Student Financial Services a list of all students who plan to Study Abroad within 2 weeks of the start of the classes.
  4. You must have a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on file to be considered for federal Perkins, Stafford and Parent PLUS Loans.  To be considered for federal financial aid, you must be in good standing and making Satisfactory Academic Progress at the time of your Study Abroad application and before receiving federal funding.
  5. If your total Study Abroad expenses exceed your University of Tulsa Cost of Attendance budget for the semester you plan to Study Abroad, those total expenses will replace the TU Cost of Attendance budget.  An increase in expenses, increases the Cost of Attendance, which may increase your eligibility for federal student loans, if you have not been awarded the maximum amounts.
  6. After your Study Abroad Budget Form is received and reviewed by your Financial Aid Counselor, your financial aid award could be revised and you will be notified at your TU email account.  In some instances, if you have been awarded the maximum amounts on federal loans, private loans will be the only alternative for funding.
  7. After your financial aid funding is in place and you are ready to go Study Abroad, the CGE Office will contact the Bursar's Office regarding the release of your funds to pay for your living expenses abroad. The Bursar's Office will contact the Office of Student Financial Services to verify the actual disbursement dates to deposit the financial aid funding into your account.  The Bursar's Office will address any questions or concerns you may have regarding how funds are disbursed and how to set up direct deposit.
  8. If applicable, all federal loans will be disbursed in two (2) disbursements, if the student's Study Abroad program is for one semester.  However, if the student chooses to study abroad for a year, the student will receive one (1) disbursement per semester.
  9. Due to federal regulations, all federal financial aid recipients receiving Pell Grant, SEOG, FWS, Perkins, Stafford and Parent PLUS Loans must be reviewed at the end of each semester to ensure they are making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).  Grades from the semester that you went Study Abroad must be posted to your academic transcript for the Office of Student Financial Services to review for SAP.  For example, if you went Study Abroad for the fall semester, the Office of Student Financial Services cannot release your federal funding for the spring semester until your Study Abroad grades are posted.  In some cases, as in Presidential Scholars, scholarship funding cannot be released if grades, after the spring semester, have not been posted to the academic transcript.
  10. While you are abroad, you should maintain full time status, otherwise you will have received funding you were not eligible to receive.  If this scenario happens, you could lose some of your funding and it could result in your owing money to The University of Tulsa.
  11. If you are awarded Federal Work Study in your initial financial aid award and you plan to Study Abroad one of those semester, you will need to accept the FWS for the semester you will not Study Abroad.  FWS is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis and if you decline FWS for the year, there is a good chance you will not get it back.  If you plan to Study Abroad for the fall, you will cancel the fall, but accept the spring award and vice-versa.