Tuesday with Tulsa: Meet Kelly from St. Louis

Today’s Tuesday with Tulsa blog post was written by an out-of-state TU student who shares a bit about how she made her college choice and her life at TU…

Hi everyone! I want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Kelly and I’m a sophomore studying Biology/Pre-Med with a minor in Sociology. I’m also from St. Louis, Missouri, which leads me to the greater purpose of this post. Why on earth did I choose to go to school in Tulsa, Oklahoma?? What’s there? I’ve been interrogated with these two questions more times than I can count by passionate St. Louisians desperate to defend our wonderful city. And I have an answer for you!

For me, the college decision was based on experiencing something totally new and different. I came to TU not knowing a soul and leaving behind a much-loved city. I will admit I knew absolutely nothing about Oklahoma, except maybe the first line from the musical. It’s for this reason that I can’t blame my family members and friends from back home who ask me why I’m here. I was thrilled when I found a mini Arch in OKC–who knew that was there?!

I wouldn’t have if I’d never ventured out of Missouri. Being a TU student and being from St. Louis gives me the best of both worlds. TU is an amazing institution–it’s a tight-knit community brimming with school pride and nationally ranked academics. I love being a student here! As a St. Louisian, I now have two homes. Even though I’m 5 hours away from my first, I love that I can find someone else from STL in Tulsa to watch a Cardinals game with me or say “Bread Co.” instead of “Panera”. And in the grand scheme of things, 5 hours is nothing. My mom actually just drove down to visit me for my sorority Mom’s Weekend and was back in time for work on Monday morning.

So why do I go to school here? Because I can’t imagine being anywhere else!