New Member Retreat and My First Race

Some fun things have happened recently.  First was the new member retreat for Kappa, (see pictures below).  The second is that I got to participate in a race for rowing called a regatta, but I’ll talk more about that later.

The retreat…first, the car I went in had a very difficult time getting there!  Our GPS led us to a factory and a very creepy small house on a hill.  When we finally got to the house, it was huge and we laughed because we were the second ones there and when other people arrived they said they had gotten lost too.  We also ate a lot, which is one of my favorite things to do!  Then we played a game where we had to guess who our bigs were based on clues. (A big is kind of like a mentor with which new sorority members are provided to help guide them through anything they might have questions about.)  I refused to go first because I am shy and that makes me uncomfortable, but when I heard the clues I knew it was my big.  Next we went upstairs and the seniors talked to us about what it means to be a Kappa, and because it was Kate’s and my birthday, they brought us cupcakes.  Then we got to make up a song about Kappa. We decided to make a song based on Taylor Swift’s song Love Story.  It turned out really cute.  By the end of the night I was really glad that they had this event because it was so fun and it was a great thing to do on my birthday.

The other thing was amazing was the regatta.  It wasn’t exactly a real regatta with medals and things but we raced Kansas in a scrimmage.  Since I am more of a coxswain (the person that steers the boat) I don’t typically race in the boat, but someone got sick and I did get to race.  It was really exciting because based on times our boat won 3rd which would have meddaled if it were a real race.  I also was really excited to spend the whole day with my friends and get to see the experienced rowers.  Because it was parents weekend my parents even got to see me row, which is awesome.  All and all it was a pretty exciting race for me.  I unfortunately don’t have pictures from this so just trust that it was soooo fun :)