Tuesdays with Tulsa: Top 5 Things To Do Over the Summer

Hi, I’m Marcia from Longmont, CO and I am studying Mathematics and Spanish.

I know when I was in high school, the idea of choosing to do extra schoolwork over the summer sounded absolutely crazy to me!  However, in the spring semester of my freshman year, I knew that I didn’t want to leave my amazing friends or the TU campus, even for just 3 months, so I chose to stay through a program called the Tulsa Undergraduate Research Challenge (TURC).  With TURC, you work with a faculty member and usually a team of students to do some sort of research.  You also are required to do some community service with any organization of your choice.  If you’re accepted to the TURC program, TU provides housing, a food stipend, and a small cash stipend.  Doing TURC is really good hands on experience, and it also looks great on resumes.  While I did enjoy my TURC research, I also wanted to tell you about how much fun I had on the TU campus over the sun. Here is my list of the TOP 5 THINGS TO DO OVER THE SUMMER:

1) Start a (FRIENDLY!) Prank War

My roommate, Anne, and I were at a garage sale one day, and we found a box of streamers.  It was $0.25 for a roll of streamers, or else $2.00 for the entire box.  Naturally, we decided to buy the entire box.  We had two other friends, Kevin and David, who we knew would enjoy the fun, and so the prank war began.

Here are pictures of some of the pranks we did.

DSCF2115 DSCF2146 DSCF2355

2) Go to a Drive-In Movie

In 2010 the Admiral Twin Drive-In Theater in Tulsa burned down after being struck by lightning. Last summer, the Drive-In reopened and is better than ever! Every weekend, you can enjoy a double feature for only $7!

drivein

3) Explore Downtown

Downtown Tulsa has underground tunnels that were built in the 1920’s and 1930’s. One day, my friends Grace, Anne and I decided to go explore them, and spend the day in downtown.

There are many other things downtown has to offer.  There is great food like burgers from McNellie’s, or gelato and crepes from Mod’s.

There are many churches worth taking a peak in to look at the beautiful architecture and fixtures.  There is also the center of the universe and ONEOK Field, home of the Tulsa Drillers.

4) Enjoy the Lakes and Rivers

The Arkansas River flows (at least when it has water) through Tulsa. Along the river there are many different trails and parks, which provide great places to have a picnic, go for a run, or just hang out. Also, on the 4th of July, the fireworks are launched over the river. There also are many lakes in OK! The closest lake to hang out at is Keystone Lake, which is about a 30 minute drive from TU. At Keystone Lake you can go for a swim, have a bonfire, or simply enjoy a day in the sun.

Lake Just make sure to bring lots of water…

Water and wear lots of sunscreen.

5) Enjoy the TU campus

Since you typically have more time during the summer than during the school year, summer is a great time to enjoy all that the campus has to offer. You can play a game of sand volleyball, or anything from football to croquet on the “new U” (Chapman Commons). On a hot day you can cool off in the fountains across from Collins Hall or in the pool at the Student Activity Center (SAC). In the evening and at night, it’s nice to walk around the “old U” (Dietler Commons), sit on the steps of McFarlin Library and watch the firework shows that happen over downtown multiple times a week, or just talk and enjoy the beautiful weather.

Sand Volleyball