Community Service

Mercedes
One of the things I have always wished I could take a part in is Habitat for Humanity.  I never had the time required to be an active member of the Habitat group on campus, but I had the great opportunity this month to spend a Saturday morning working on a build.  I am not a morning person, to say the least, but we all got up bright and early and headed to the build site.  This was the sixth Saturday that they worked at this site and all of the girls that were there manned up to do some heavy lifting.  We drilled these orange “huggies” to the roof so that when people put up the singles they have something to support them if they were to start slipping.  We also nailed beams to the roof and metal hurricane brackets to each beam connecting the roof to the wall.  It was actually really fun and my favorite part was getting to use a nail gun!

Even if building houses isn’t your thing and you still want participate in some sort of community service, TU makes it so easy! It is never hard to find a project to plug into; the only hard part is choosing which projects you can commit to with out over committing yourself!