Tulsa Faculty Senate
FACULTY SENATE HOME
PROVOST'S OFFICE HOME
To provide an opportunity for employees to request leave time for
personal reasons or for circumstances which necessitate an extended leave of absence due
to medical conditions of family members (beyond the twelve weeks allowed by the Family and
Medical Leaves of Absence Policy).
WHO IS COVERED
All full-time and part-time faculty, administrative/professional and
hourly staff employees. Temporary employees are excluded.
Employees may request personal leaves of absence due to medical
conditions of family members (beyond the twelve weeks allowed by the Family and Medical
Leaves of Absence Policy), educational advancement, personal business, public service,
vacation, etc. The length of the leave, and the university's ability to grant it, will
depend upon the university's ability to make personnel adjustments within the department
enabling it to function in a satisfactory manner during the employee's absence.
- To request a personal leave of absence, the employee should complete
the Leave of Absence Request Form (which may be obtained from the Office of Personnel
- The employee should submit the request, with
any required documentation, to his or her dean or director for approval. Please refer to
the procedures described in the Family and Medical Leave Policy regarding leaves for
employee or family illness and child care.
- Leaves of absence without pay for personal reasons may be recommended
by the dean or director when it appears to be in the best interest of the university and
- The dean or director should forward the employee's leave request to
the Director of Personnel Services for final approval and processing.
- Such leaves may not exceed one year in length and the year shall run
concurrent with any other leaves granted (i.e., if the employee requests an extended leave
beyond the twelve weeks allowed by the Family and Medical Leave Policy, the maximum amount
of the extended personal leave shall be 40 weeks).
- A period of leave of absence without pay does not count as service
time for computation of sick leave or vacation accrual.
- All sick time and vacation leave accumulation must be exhausted
before personal leave without pay begins. Unless the leave has been approved without
pay (ie. take a semester off to attend school).
- When employees are granted leaves without pay for personal reasons,
the employee is entitled to reinstatement in either the same or an equivalent position.
- Before granting a personal leave without pay, departments should
carefully consider whether they will be in a position to reinstate the employee at the
conclusion of the leave.
- If the position cannot be held open or filled on a temporary basis,
the dean or director should make it clear to the employee and state on the employee's
leave request form that the leave is being granted with the understanding that the
university is not obligated to reinstate the employee at the conclusion of the leave.
- For Faculty, please refer to the Statement
on Academic Freedom, Responsibility, and Tenure.
- Failure to return to work at the expiration of the approved leave
will be considered automatic, voluntary resignation by the employee.
- For questions regarding personal leaves of absence, please contact
the Office of Personnel Services.
The authority to grant exception to one or more of these policies
and procedures is vested with the President of The University of Tulsa or his/her
Policy Effective Date: June 1, 1994
Top of Page