Surplus Disposal Policy
Surplus equipment and other items will be disposed through the Director of Purchasing Services acting as the agent for the University of Tulsa.
Surplus equipment and other items cannot be disposed of without prior approval of the Director of Purchasing.
This includes aged, damaged obsolete or excess furniture and equipment.
Departments shall notify the Director of Purchasing Services of surplus items that are of no further value to the user department. After Purchasing Services has been notified, the department shall submit a request for service for the physical plant to pick up the surplus equipment .
The Disposal of Surplus Equipment and Other Items Form must be completed and submitted to the Director of Purchasing before any item can be declared surplus.
If more space is needed for the surplus items, attach a list to the Disposal of Surplus Equipment and Other Items form and include the following information:
- University Inventory ID Number or state that there is none
- Description of item
- Serial Number
- Model Number
- Current Location (Department, Building, Room Number)
- Owner of equipment or item
- Reason for Disposal of Surplus
The order of preference for disposal of surplus items by the Director of Purchasing will be:
- Trade-ins on replacement equipment
- Other University departments
- Non-profit organizations
- Public offerings (auctions, bids, etc.)
Any surplus equipment or property remaining after being offered to the University departments shall be disposed of by the Purchasing Services Department.
If the department does not need the surplus as a trade-in on replacement equipment, Purchasing Services will first offer items designated for disposal to other University departments. This may be done by internal notices and advertising in e-mail and/or combined with published notices of periods when the surplus area is open for inspection by University staff.
Authority for various types of and levels of equipment and other items of disposal shall be as follows.
- Only University Department Chairpersons may declare property as "surplus."
- Any disposal of property with a market value of $25,000 or greater shall have prior approval of the Vice President for their college/unit
- The Director of Purchasing Services may approve transfers, including donations, to governmental agencies, political subdivisions and non-profit organizations up to a value of $25,000 per transaction.
Purchasing Services shall maintain records of all disposed surplus sales and transfers and will provide a report to the appropriate offices. Money received from the surplus sales shall be credited to the general fund.