The task of selecting students for any gifted program is one of the most controversial issues in gifted education. Some programs emphasize selection according to achievement. Other programs emphasize potential. All selection is an inexact science with many uncontrolled variables. Selection for one gifted program in no way guarantees selection for another gifted program.
High verbal abilities have been found to correlate with high intelligence. The instruments we use measure both verbal, quantitative, perceptual, and creative abilities. Professional recommendations, interviews, and parent inventories are also considered.
In order to be considered for admission, a student should be tested by a psychologist using either the WPPSI-III or the WISC-4. The WPPSI-III is used for younger children and the WISC-4 for older students. We generally accept children who score in the 90th percentile or above if the psychologist and our admissions committee recommend placement in our school.
When the test results and other information are received, the University Schools Admissions Committee reviews the separate sections of the tests, parent information forms, and any other pertinent information before making a placement recommendation. We will then contact the parents with the decision made about the admission.
Steps to Admission
- Have your student tested.
- Complete Application for Admission
- Submit test results, application, photo of your child, and $25 application fee.
- For students applying for 1st Grade (Primary 2) or above, a Teacher Observation Form must also be submitted.
- Once these have been received at University School, we will activate a file for your child.
- Depending on test scores, Admissions Committee recommendations, and openings in the class, you will be contacted with an admissions decision.
If you would like to have your child tested, we recommend:
Dr. Paul Schwartz - 918-493-7185
Dr. Mary Rineer - 918-747-8282
Dr. Cleatta Shumate - 918-794-2847
Gina Kingsley/Dr. Ann Taylor - 918-584-4321
*Please call the psychologists directly for information about testing procedures and fees.
Testing results, along with the Application for Admission and other application materials should be submitted to:
800 S. Tucker Drive
Tulsa, OK 74104
Attn: Debra Price, Admissions