Student Research Grant Program


Research Application (.doc template)

Application for Funds to Assist with Professional Presentations (.doc template)



The purpose of The University of Tulsa Student Research Grant Program is to provide assistance for students to engage in worthwhile research projects and presentations at professional meetings that otherwise may not be possible as a result of a lack of financial support. It is also hoped this grant program will open new areas of research, and stimulate more students to engage in research activities and professional meetings.


Any graduate student or undergraduate is eligible to apply for research support under this program provided he or she is enrolled in a course for which credit for research is given. These courses include Independent Study, Research, and Thesis or Dissertation. Students in Arts and Humanities are encouraged to consider the definition of “research” in light of their own discipline. Enrolled students who are involved in TURC or other University sponsored research programs are also eligible.


All requests for research grant support must be in connection with a specific project which can be adequately described in the application. Please use the Student Research Grant Program: Research Application form. Students should prepare the application with faculty guidance and must obtain a letter of recommendation supporting the project from their faculty sponsor. If the proposal requests support for a presentation at a professional meeting, the applicant must also enclose a copy of the acceptance letter of the paper for the professional meeting. Completed application forms must be signed by the faculty adviser, the Department Chairperson, and the Collegiate Dean who administers the academic discipline in which the student is majoring.

We remind you that if your project involves the use of human subjects and you have not yet obtained TU Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval, you must also submit the necessary forms/documents for approval at the same time your proposal is submitted to your Dean. IRB approval/review is necessary for any human subjects research including (but not limited to) surveys (either paper or via the Internet), interviews, sports or medical procedures, and the use of existing data identifiable to specific individuals. The application forms and instructions can be found on our website or by clicking here for “Protection of Human Subjects." IRB application packets (forms, surveys, informed consent forms, etc.) should be sent directly to Carmen Schaar-Walden in the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs. If you have any questions concerning the use of human subjects, you may contact Carmen at x3310 or . If IRB approval has previously been obtained you must include the IRB approval letter with your application.

If your research involves the use of animals, please include the approved protocol number assigned by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) on the application form. If you have not received approval or submitted a protocol, please refer to the IACUC website by clicking here. You may contact Carmen Schaar-Walden at x3310 or via e-mail at if you have any questions about your project in this regard. If you have not yet submitted your protocol to the IACUC for approval, you must submit the necessary forms/documents at the same time your proposal is submitted.

If your research involves the use of infectious agents, select agents and toxins, human or endothermic vertebrate materials (including blood, body fluids, cells and tissues), recombinant DNA, synthetic nucleic acid molecules or transgenic animals, the protocol may require Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) review and approval. Please contact Dr. Estelle Levetin (x2764) to determine if IBC approval is necessary prior to submitting the proposal.

Students working with chemicals must attend a Laboratory Standard Training Session once every three years while at The University of Tulsa. It is advisable to view the module on WebCT training; for access email If that is not possible, the training may be obtained by viewing a video, which is available through Marty Phillips at x2111 or via email at

If the proposed research involves travel abroad, the applicant must register with the Center for Global Education (CGE) before the Student Research Grant can be finalized.  Please see for additional information on relevant policies and a link to the registration page.  Students must receive written permission from CGE for approval for international travel before any reimburseable expenses have been incurred. 

All requests for financial support for professional presentations must use the Student Research Grant Program: Application for Funds to Assist with Professional Presentations. Application forms may be obtained from the Office of Research.

Students with Research Grants who have not satisfied one or more of the conditions of this section may be conditionally awarded a Student Research Grant.  However, expenses incurred before final approval of the Student Research Grant will not be reimbursed by the Student Research Grant Program.

Application Deadlines

Completed research applications with all required signatures should be submitted to the Research Office (McClure Hall, Room 201) for review. Applications for support during each semester must be submitted by the end of the third week of classes in order to be eligible for support during that semester. Funding decisions will be announced within ten working days of semester deadlines. Applications for support during the summer term must be submitted by May 4th. Awards will be announced by May 15th.

Applications for financial support for professional presentations may be submitted throughout the year for review. Applications must be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to the professional meeting.  See the calendar for internal funding deadlines.


The text of the proposal must specifically address all of the items in yourbudget.When you design the budget, provide sufficient detail and justification so that the need for the requested items and the requested level of support is clear to a reviewer. A budget listing "chemicals," "materials," or "analytical work" is not sufficiently detailed. What kind of chemicals or materials and the quantity of those items should be listed. Analytical work should specify what kind and the approximate number of hours of instrument usage, cost per hour, or number of samples to be analyzed and cost per sample. There are set charges for usage of University equipment; talk with the person in charge of the equipment. For items listed in Section H, there is no fixed list of research items or allowable expenses covered by this grant program. In general, the purchase of special equipment, materials and supplies, duplication and reproduction, computer time, inter-library loans, and postage will be allowed. A good guideline to follow is to request those items that have not been funded by the department, college, or the student in the past. Expenses for food and lodging can not be funded under the student research grant program. No funds will be allowed for typing reports, theses, dissertations, or for publications. No funds will be provided for expenses incurred before the grant is approved.

Funding may be requested by a student to help defray expenses associated with a presentation at a professional meeting. These funds are expected to be supplemented by the department or college or both. Allowable expenses associated with a presentation at a professional meeting are travel, conference fees, or preparation of slides or posters for the presentation.

It should be clearly stated what the department's and/or college's contribution will be to the student's research or presentation at a professional meeting.

Size of Grants

Doctoral students enrolled in Research and Dissertation are eligible for awards up to $1000, with a cap of $2000 in total funding as a doctoral student. All other degree seeking students are eligible for individual research awards of up to $500, with a cap of $1000 in total funding while enrolled in a specific degree program. The maximum amount for a group research project is $1000. A grant recipient may hold only one grant at a time, but may seek new support the following semester once work on the current grant has been completed and a final report has been received by ORSP.

For undergraduates the maximum amount of an individual award associated with a professional poster presentation or a regional meeting is $200 and the maximum award for a paper presentation at a national or international meeting is $400. Graduate students may be awarded up to $600 for a single presentation at a professional meeting. This is also the maximum amount that can be received while a graduate student is in a single degree program. If a degree is awarded and a graduate student begins a new degree program, they are eligible for an additional $600.


Reimbursements should be filed through your department as soon as possible and within no more than thirty (30) days of any expenditure. Requests for reimbursement submitted more than 30 days after an expenditure may not be approved.

When financial assistance is provided only for expenses associated with a presentation at a professional meeting, an expense report must be filed shortly after the conclusion of the professional meeting. Reimbursements should be filed through your department as soon as possible and within no more than thirty (30) days, upon returning from the meeting. Requests for reimbursement submitted more than 30 days after the end of the meeting may not be approved.

Reporting Requirements

When an award is provided for research, grant recipients are required to submit a brief, one page final report to the Office of Research upon completion of the research project. In the case of a continuing research project, a progress report must be submitted before an application for continuing support may be considered. The report on the project should include a summary of activities, findings, and expenses incurred. This report should also include a listing of any presentations or publications that are an outgrowth of this research.

Any equipment or unused supplies purchased from the grant are the property of the University of Tulsa, and upon completion of the project, must be given to your department for future use.