Student Employment

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. This allows students to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study. Federal Work-Study wages are at least minimum wage, but may be higher depending on the type of work and the skills required. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on your level of financial need.

If you are an undergraduate, you'll be paid by the hour every two weeks. If you are a graduate student, you may be paid by the hour or paid a salary. You will receive a check, unless you request that the school direct deposit your check into your bank account. You may use the money to pay for your institutional charges such as tuition, fees, room and board.

Federal Work-Study jobs can be on or off campus. If you work on campus, you'll work for the school. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest. The amount you earn can't exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. When assigning work hours, your supervisor will consider your class schedule and you academic progress.

Policies and Procedures are available for obtaining a Federal Work-Study position for 2007-2008 school year.

Institutional Work Study

The second type of employment is called Institutional Work Study. Institutional jobs are offered by offices around the university that need additional employees. The money earned at the institutional job is not funded by the Federal government like Work-Study employees. The individual departments pay for the employee out of their budget.