Financial Info

Student Employment

There are two types of employment opportunities at The University of Tulsa, the Federal Work-Study Program and Institutional Work Study.

Federal Work Study provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. This allows students to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study. Federal Work-Study wages are at least minimum wage, but may be higher depending on the type of work and the skills required. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on your level of financial need.

If you are an undergraduate, you'll be paid by the hour every two weeks. If you are a graduate student, you may be paid by the hour or paid a salary. You will receive a check, unless you request that the school direct deposit your check into your bank account. You may use the money to pay for your institutional charges such as tuition, fees, room and board.

Federal Work-Study jobs can be on or off campus. If you work on campus, you'll work for the school. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest. The amount you earn can't exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. When assigning work hours, your supervisor will consider your class schedule and you academic progress. Click here to view the Policies and Procedures for obtaining a Federal Work-Study position for 2007-2008 school year. 

The second type of employment is called Institutional Work Study
Institutional jobs are offered by offices around the university that need additional employees. The money earned at the institutional job is not funded by the Federal government like Work-Study employees. The individual departments pay for the employee out of their budget.

The University of Tulsa 2007-2008 Federal Work-Study Program Policies and Procedures for Students  

The Federal Work-Study Procedure for Securing a Campus Job

1. You receive an award letter from Student Financial Services indicating how much money you can earn. Work-study eligibility can also be viewed on Web Advisor. Your supervisor will want to confirm your eligibility for work-study by viewing your aid on Web Advisor or by looking at your award letter.

2. To view job postings Click Here. The job list will be updated daily.

3. You contact the department for an interview and to complete employment paperwork. You cannot begin work until all Payroll and Student Financial Services paperwork is completed. The supervisor will have the required paperwork for the Office of Student Financial Services.

What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a program funded with federal dollars and matched with funds provided by the University. It is an aid program designed to offer part-time employment to students so earnings are available to help meet educational expenses.

Student Eligibility Requirements

You must have financial need to be eligible to participate in the FWS program. Need is determined by the Office of Student Financial Services based on the results of the student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students who qualify for the FWS program will be sent an award letter indicating the amount of money they are eligible to earn.


  • You must work to earn the money they are eligible to receive. 
  • You are not paid to study. 
  • You are only eligible to work in one department.

Student Wages

Undergraduate students are paid FWS wages on an hourly basis only. Graduate students may be paid by the hour or may be paid a salary. Students are paid bi-weekly. Payday dates are listed at

Time Sheets

Due to federal regulations, you cannot be paid to work during your scheduled classes. Therefore, if your class is canceled on a particular day and you work during the scheduled class time, the instructor will need to provide a note stating the class was canceled on that date. This note will need to be attached to the timesheet.

Payroll’s Required Documentation

Students, who have not previously worked at TU, must also complete an I-9 and W-4 form. These forms must be on file with the Payroll department, Personnel Services, Twin Towers, before students begin work. Forms may be obtained at  FWS earnings are taxable and will be reported to the federal government as such. Students must choose either Direct Deposit to a bank/credit union account, or deposit of funds into a TU E-Funds Card. We highly encourage direct deposit. Instructions and enrollment forms are located at

Determining How Many Hours to Work

You can determine the average number of hours to work per week by dividing the amount they are eligible to earn by the hourly rate of pay and then dividing by 15 weeks for the semester. For example, an award of $1545 per semester with a rate of pay of $6.50 would be $1545 divided by $6.50 = $237.69 divided by 15 weeks = 15 hours per week.

Community Service Requirement

The university is required to spend at least 7% of its FWS funding on community service positions. The Office of University and Community Service places students off campus in community service positions. Please consider working in these positions for us to keep our funding and more importantly to help the community.

Institutional Positions For 2008-2009

Student employment is sometimes available at the following on-campus locations.

Food Services
ACAC - Leisa King 631-2520
Twin Towers - Jay Tanege 631-3473

Collins Fitness Center
Karyn Thomas 2679

Institutional Advancement
Heather Durden 631-3514

McFarlin Library
Kathryn Lupardus 631-3496

Athletic Dept.
Russ Hoffman 631-5230

Computer Labs
McFarlin Library 631-2341
BAH 631-2022 (Rms 123, 124, 125)
Zink Hall 631-3131 (Computer Supported Writing Center)

Mabee Legal Information Center
Room 1101 631-3375/Room 130 631-5619