Michael E. Whalen
My research interests are in cultural evolution and the development of complex societies. I am experienced in approaching such problems through excavation of individual communities and through regional settlement pattern surveys in Northern Mexico, Mesoamerica and the U.S. Southwest. My technical specialty is ceramic analysis, and I am well grounded in quantitative methods.
Education and Degrees Earned
- Ph.D. Anthropology August, 1976 The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- M.A. Anthropology May, 1971 The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- B.A. Anthropology June, 1970 The University of Rochester, N.Y.
Previous Teaching Experience
- 1995-date Professor of Anthropology, University of Tulsa
- 1984-1994 Associate Professor of Anthropology (tenured), University of Tulsa
- 1978-1984 Assistant Professor of Anthropology, University of Tulsa
- 1975-1978 Visiting appointment in Anthropology, University of Texas at El Paso
- Society for American Archaeology